Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fatherhood

It's going to be Father's Day.
God knows what the 2 boys and their mother have got planned.
I remember something when Ewan was born 3 years ago.
It so happened that I was going to take the Ministry of Transport entourage for a port visit in Yantian and my wife went into labor the previous night before the flight.
Ewan Ong came into this world, and I remember looking at his lovely eyes. Then I felt sad for a while, cos' I had to take the afternoon flight to Shenzhen and would only come back after 2 weeks.
I also remembered to call my dad and wished him Happy Father's Day.
And I realised this.
I would do whatever I can to make my children proud to have me as a father. The same way I hold my own father in the highest regard.
Not because he's the most succesful businessman in the history of mankind.
Not because he was the best footballer in Malaysia.
But because he raised me to be a good person. Just like a certain Earl Woods told his son named Tiger, "Be a good golfer, but be a GREAT MAN".

And my thought on that day 3 years ago was this:

If your children look up to you,
you've made a success of life's biggest job.
- Bobby K.H. Ong, June 2006

PS. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL FATHERS AROUND THE WORLD!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent quotation, Bobby. Ever thought of compiling your wise quips and quotes and publishing them?

Happy Father's Day! May your life be a beacon not only to your sons and wife but also to those around you :-). God bless you always.

Tiger said...

Thanks so much, MWS!
Have you ever heard of Life's Little Instruction Book, written by someone by the name of Jackson Brown?
I have compiled my own quips somewhat akin to that, but I suppose that's why I have my blog here to keep record of what I've been thinking.
Perhaps one day a publisher will offer my a book deal. Hopefully.