Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Can the next generation stand on their own?

I look at some kids and they have it made.
By Jove, have they got it made. Maids to wash their clothes. Chaffeurs to take them to school and around town. Enough pocket money to stimulate an African country's economy.
I remember dating this girl, Eugenie. Her parents were divorced. The mother went back overseas (Europe, I think). The father was working in Penang and would be back on weekends.
For the time that we dated, I couldn't believe how much money he gave her and the brother to last the week. I remember it was about RM500 a week! And this was back in 1991!
I kept thinking, hey, why can't he spend more time with her when even though I was 17 then, I could clearly see that she craved attention (especially a parent's)?
I got this passage from a MUST READ book.
If you have time, go get it. Read it. Absorb it's essence and then LIVE it.
I hope our kids learn to stand on their own.
Nowadays, I see parents buying stuff for their kids as a replacement for their love. I feel weird about it when I see a clear case of emotional blackmail of adults by their own children.

[We are not] here to play the material game by allowing guilt about our children to make us feel terrible when we can't give them what their friends may have.
We can give them something that is beyond price.
We can give them unconditional love and we can help them to reconnect with their highest potential.
You can't buy that at the computer game store.
- David Icke, p. 434, "And the truth Shall Set You Free"

5 comments:

zewt said...

is that the name of the book... and the truth shall set you free? :)

the next generation of people will just know how to spend, and they will not be saving for their next generation. that's how i see it.

so... how did you fulfill that girl's crave for attention? hahahaha...

Tiger said...

Yes, Zewt, that's really the name of the book although you might be thinking of another phrase with those words in it.
You're right about the next generation, but there's still time for them to change, and as a parent, I'll be doing by part.
As for that girl, there's an unfortunate ending to that story. She fell for another friend of mine (attention deficit, told you), but it turned out great cos' I then concentrated fully on my SPM and scored 7 A1s (or 14 As in today's value).

zewt said...

so your friend saved your ass there.

Unknown said...

Hi Tiger,

Materialism has reared its ugly head in many families today until basic values have been undermined.

That and also the deplorable state of education today = a new generation that is more immature and practically devoid of thinking skills.

I can guarantee you that the 12A1s of today is NOT EVEN equal to 4A1s of yester years!!!

By the way, Antares did a post on David Icke today...

Take care and have a good week.

Tiger said...

Yes, Zewt, my friend did me a "favor". My love life that year is probably the basis for the TV series "Melrose Place".
MWS, thanks for the pointer to Antares. Have always liked his style of writing.
Ratio of 1 to 3 for A grades in comparison to yesteryear's? A bit harsh, but I'll take your word for it.
If we meet up one day, I'll tell you the secrets of grading our SPM papers as told to me by my father.
Unfortunately, he had to sign an agreement under OSA so I will not say anything yet.