Wednesday, January 07, 2009

An open letter to all Malaysians

The mainstream media is powerful. Most people realise their power and they use the media to spin their image. Not least, our current federal government.
On New Year's Day, I decided to write a letter to NST and The Star's editors. It was apolitical.
It did not get published. However, I will still post it here, the unedited version.
I hope each and every adult Malaysian will get the message.
Here it is:

AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL MALAYSIANS

Happy New Year to all Malaysians, and I hope 2009 brings glad tidings to everyone, regardless of their roots.
It will be a tough year, but something worries me. It seems most Malaysians have lost the ability to differentiate what is important and what is a priority.
When I go to the convenience stores, I see too many gossip magazines available for sale.
Who is this Mawi and Ekin? I have no idea who they are.
I see them on the cover of magazines and some newspapers as well.
When I ask the cashier, she says,"Oooh, you don't know, he's a famous singer. Their wedding cost RM 5 million".
I didn't want to ask her why it was important how much their wedding cost.
So, will it change my life if I know who they are? Why are they so important?
I don't know who Amber Chia is either, and I don't care whether she's someone's 2nd wife.
Am I going to be arrested under ISA for being a "subversive"? I just have no idea who Mawi and Ekin is.
Is this what it means to be no longer young? It's not so bad.
Maybe I can put it another way. Where did the idea come from that we should worship Mawi and Ekin and that we don't worship our respective Gods as we understand Them?
I suppose that's a sign I'm getting old too.
But there are too many people wondering where Mawi came from, and NOT ENOUGH people wondering where the Malaysia we used to know is going to.
The recession is coming, whether we like it or not, as it is part of an economic cycle.
I hope all Malaysians can work together towards weathering these times and not pull in different directions.
Thank you and have a great year ahead.




See, a letter like that cannot be published. Thanks to you, The New Strait Times and The Star, newspapers with ZERO INTEGRITY!

No comments: