Friday, March 13, 2009

Plain speaking

By now, it's probably clear that I'm a big fan of Socrates.
I like his work for 2 reasons, his dedication to the advancement of Ethics. And the other, Epistemology.
In case you didn't know what that means, in simple terms, it's working towards gaining knowledge and wisdom. More or less. You can look it up.
I was thinking about Socrates when I heard the morning show on Mix FM, where various celebrities are being tested on whether they're telling the truth.
Then I remembered this quote.
My plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a proof that I am speaking the truth? - Socrates (469-399 BC)
I can't exactly remember the occasion he said this, but I think it would be the time that he was on trial for being the "wisest" person in town.
In the end, he died for something he believed in. By drinking poison. If I'm not mistaken, the other philosopher Seneca died the same way.
Anyway, I'm happy that this morning, one of my favourite Malaysian "philosophers", Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir, "passed" the test on Mix FM. She was telling the truth.
She was being asked questions on sexuality, parenting and her work as a feminist.
I suppose if there's anything, we should always tell the truth.
Some of the truths may hurt, but it's temporary.
Telling white lies may not hurt the person at the moment, but when they discover the truth, it'll hurt even more, and it could be permanent.
I have refused to buy and read newspapers anymore.
In fact, the only papers that dare to tell the truth is The Malay Mail, and The Sun.
Truth is becoming a rare commodity in this country, and I hope that this situation will change.
We must teach our children to be truthful, and the best way to show them is by being a role model.
Ethan, I know you've been asking your Mommy not to lie when she promises to fetch you from school.
You will eventually realise that your Mommy could not lie even if someone pointed a gun at her.
That's why she always gives in to your demands, because she rather give in than tell a white lie to escape your requests.
I hope one day you'll realise what a gem your Mom is.


No comments: