Saturday, March 09, 2013

The very least you can do

The very least you can do

Bob Perks
It sounds terrible.

It seems inadequate, maybe inappropriate... to do the very least.

"I heard about their divorce.  I felt bad, but I didn't know what to say.  So, I haven't called."

"He's dying from cancer.  I was his best man at their wedding.  I just can't see him like that. So, I'm not stopping by.  I want to remember him
in better times."

I don't know how you feel about reading those two statements.  They are true.  I heard people say it. So, what's the very least they could have done?

Called.

Sent a note.

We clearly are not called to do nothing at all.

This is when "The very least you can do" is better  than doing nothing at all.

I have heard it called, "burden sharing."  Biblical examples abound.

Romans 12:10 - Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Proverbs 31:8-9 - "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

I'm not preaching here.  I'm not a preacher.  I am a man, a human being who believes there is always something one can do even if it is the very least.

Like the smile given freely.

The kind word spoken.

Being there and not saying anything.  Your presence says it all.

The next time you see someone in need ask yourself, "What's the very least I can do?"

Then do it.

Sometimes the least you can do for someone is the most anyone has done...ever.

No comments: