Saturday, May 16, 2009

Perfectly imperfect

This thought has been lingering at the back of my mind for a few days now.
Everyone strives towards perfection, although it is a never ending quest. It's not futile because for every bit of improvement you make towards that goal, it's a worthwhile journey by itself.
Take for instance.
You have a 100% record for 10 tasks you undertook. You've never failed.
But out of 11 tasks, you didn't complete the 11th one, or rather it was not well done.
What's your percentage now?
It drops to 91% ! A drop of 9%!
Suppose you're perfect in the next 10. Your percentage of success goes up to 95%
But do you realise, that even if you're perfect in the next 10, 100 or even a thousand, you will never reach 100% EVER again?
That's what I call it, perfectly imperfect.
What some people should do is to accept that you'll never be perfect.
What you CAN do is KEEP TRYING.
Keep going.
Never give up.
And keep in mind, that whilst you might never even reach 99.9%, you will be in a constant flux of improvement.
And you'll be perfectly imperfect.

3 comments:

zorro said...

Tiger, Michaelangelo said: Trifles make perfection but perfection isn't trifle. Tough to be perfect. Even the perfect host is a misnomer. There will be some sour puss who will say that dish is not sour enough! But it is good to aim for perfection. Little steps, I mean. We can't eat an elephant whole....start with the tail first perhaps.

You must be Edwardian. I am Taiping too but Georgie Progie. Nothing like Taiping town. I was there the whole stretch of the Bukit Gantang by election.

Tiger said...

Uncle Zorro,
you must've forgotten you talked to me before. Either that or you didn't get my reply.
Yes, I'm Edwardian and I know you're from Taiping.
I emailed you during Bukit Gantang by-election because I was going back for Cheng Beng, and wanted to see if my brother and I could help you and the Barisan Rakyat team on anything.

ajoyly said...

To fall and never say die.