Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The state of healthcare in Malaysia


This is a pic taken in Christmas 2006. My mother in law, the 2 boys and my wife.
They love Christmas time. Although we are Buddhists, my family loves Christmas for the spirit the celebration embodies.
On the 2nd day of CNY, my mother in law was diagnosed with blood cancer.
So, she was hospitalised since then.
My mother in law is an extraordinary woman. She bore 7 children and raised them almost single handedly. She was a construction worker who tapped rubber at 5 in the morning before coming back to make breakfast for the family. She then cycled to whichever construction site she was working at and came home after 6 in the evening to cook dinner for the family.
The good news is that the cancer was detected early. The only problem is the curing part.
It will cost an estimated RM 300 thousand to cure her. This was the estimate given to us by the doctor.
In my previous post about the privatisation of IJN, I have previously raised questions on why only the rich can afford to be cured of illnesses in Malaysia.
Why will it cost 300 THOUSAND?
Mother has told us that if it is a serious disease, she does not want us to spend any more money. Let her die, she said.
I don't know any other person who would be brave enough to say that.
As I write this, my eyes are beginning to tear up. I lost my mother when I was 12. I am extremely fortunate to have someone like my wife's mother in our lives. I know my wife isn't coping too well with this situation either.
I have an aunt who used to work in the healthcare industry. She has referred me to UH, University Hospital, where they are apparently quite good with this type of cancer. Even then, she said, be prepared to spend.
How do you value the life of a person in monetary terms?
We have decided not to let Mother know what is her disease. Otherwise, she will give up on fighting for her life.
I wonder if private doctors differentiate in service levels for different patients. Let's say, a millionaire comes in for prostate cancer. Does he get better treatment than an ordinary person whose medical insurance limit does not cover certain procedures?
I saw the updated bill for Mother yesterday. So far, it stands at 9k. There's 1k for consultancy, which literally means that the doctor came in for 5 minutes to check her charts and blood pressure. Each visit is RM80.00, so 12 visits is RM960.
I do not know any other person in Malaysia who earns RM80 for 5 minutes of work.
It must have been one torturous hell of a time getting their medical degrees at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
So they are taking their revenge on others by charging at this rate.
How do these people sleep at night???
What do they do with all that money???
Is there anything remotely resembling a conscience inside them?
It seems perhaps the only alternative is to go to a government hospital and pray for the best. What our healthcare system in Malaysia tells us bluntly is, if you can't afford it, don't be sick.
Anyone who has met my mother in law will say that she's the kindest soul. There's always a twinkle of cheer in her eyes, and she always makes time for anyone and everyone.
This is my hope and prayer, that she will be cured soon.
I once said to someone, that a parent should not have to bury their child.
I now add, that a grandchild should not be too young to see their grandparent die.
Here's to you, Mother. The gentlest, kindest and most generous person I know.
There is a God, and I hope He will answer my prayers.

No comments: