Saturday, June 25, 2011

What I love about my Daddy, Ong Hong Kong

1. He tells it like it is. There's no BS. No sugar coating. Just the plain old truth.

2. He loves us unconditionally. No matter how bad or mischievious I was, he loves me without any qualms.

3. He gives great advice. You could give any situation to him, lo and behold, he'll come up with a great solution for you. Maybe our government should be reading this.

4. He IS brilliant. My father is so well-read, and I'm so lucky to have gotten the reading bug from him. He may not have a Masters from MIT, but he can rival any genius any day.

5. He taught me to respect others. Especially your elders.

6. He showed me the beauty of writing. His handwriting is exquisite, while mine barely passes for a doctor's medical chit. But the real beauty is in the stringing of words into meaningful sentences.

7. He showed how to pick yourself up. When my mother passed away, it couldn't have been easy for him. 3 kids to parent full time on your own. Especially since I was just about to enter my teens.

8. He showed that anything is possible. My father always taught me to be strong and to be myself. He taught that if you never depend on anyone and always work hard for what you want, anything is possible. In the end, I paid for my MBA by MYSELF.
9. He taught me to listen. In the club where he was Honorary Secretary for 3 decades, I learned that the most important skill is not to speak well, but to LISTEN. Really listen.

No comments: