Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Worlds within a world

I've often pondered over this phrase I coined a long time ago.
They said the world's getting smaller.
Yes, I believe it.
And yet, there are still people who live as if they have no need or want of the "outside world".
I've met and seen people who live within their "own world".
A cocoon where they think it's "safe" or it's "I can do whatever I want and no one should care".
The fact remains that this world is so interconnected.
What that means is that what you do or say, affects not only yourself, but people in contact with you, within your social circle.
It would be nice if people could see the worlds outside their own.
This planet of ours is so "rich" with wondrous things, sights, smells and people that only an irrational person would think ha, so what, I'm the king of "my world".
Yes, king of "your world", a tiny, puny place where you spend 18 hours a day, 365 days a year and you'll probably die within that place too.
There are so many things to learn, good things, positive things, great books to read.
And yet some men think they're already "great".
With that, it brings to mind what Solzhenitsyn said:

Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people.
Let your memory be your travel bag.


- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

No comments: