Friday, January 07, 2011

An open letter to all Malaysians: Enough of lies and promises

I am a tired Malaysian.
I'm tired of all the lies.
I am tired of being bombarded by messages meant to confuse, misguide and lead me where the government wants us to go.

Here's the truth.

No one party has all the answers.

Not Barisan Nasional,

not Pakatan Rakyat,

not MCLM, Third Force or whatever they choose to call themselves, or even barbers and taxi drivers.

You see us as cows and you the cow herders call us, not by name,

you definitely don't know our names.

But by demographics, group, age, economic status and worst of all, race.

You take aim at the vulnerable.

You tell the elderly that the other party will steal your security, but make them stand in

lines at the public hospitals.

The elderly cry "my pension" and you promise, "We'll fix it."

The only thing you need to fix are the broken promises you've all made before.

You create fear-filled television messages, with ominous looking images of angry people picked by you because they have no jobs, while you recite facts twisted to fit your view.

In truth they are snippets of reality, incomplete sound bites and images of your opponent looking their worst.

You wave flags and gather your family for a portrait, shake hands with our military,
nod your head in agreement with union leaders,
stand near an Orang Asli whose very livelihood is being plowed under by over-regulation and huge corporate control and we become numb to the relentless pounding of the distant drums of doom.

The past 30 years has been called the "dumbing down of Malaysia."

You talk about securing our borders and strengthening our defence with pointless purchases of war machines.

All of this while you fight on the floor of Parliament, in the halls of the state assemblies and the corrupt chambers of local government over nothing more than the betterment,
not of the people you serve,
but your party's agenda and control.

No one individual can solve all of Malaysia's problems.

Not the Prime Minister of Malaysia.

Not Anwar Ibrahim.

And not political celebrities or on air personalities.
We all must work together or together we continue failing as a nation.

Malaysia was established as "We the Rakyat."

That means that WE control this country.

That is, my friends, a huge responsibility.

It should not be taken lightly.

How do we do it?

By vote.

That vote is the most powerful weapon on earth and it is placed in the hands of every adult.

It can be used as a weapon to destroy or a tool to build up.

Don't vote against something, vote for what you know to be the truth.

Vote for someone who will SERVE YOU and your area, not someone who expects to be served.

I can see that there are still a few good Wakil Rakyat, even on both sides of the great divide.

The difference is, a vote is like using a Senapang Gajah to shoot at a small animal.

When you try to single out one thing you hit it all, taking down the good with the bad.

Before you vote, research, read, talk it over with friends, family, check the facts, recheck the facts and yes, pray.

We can still pray in Malaysia, whatever your religion is.

Voting demands participation.

Being a Malaysian is more than holding a blue IC as proof.

If you are above 21, register as a voter and find out about the candidates.

It is holding on when things get tough, holding out when others give in, and holding to this simple truth, that "All humans are created equal by God", even when some people claim their religion is better than others.

When you CROSS that box, you are declaring, "I've done my job. I've taken responsibility,

I've made an educated decision based on my own research,

I've voiced my opinion and I declare myself one of the proud members of "We the Rakyat of Malaysia".

Don't be led by the cow herders any more.

Vote smart for the good of all, not for the betterment of a few.

Happy New Year to all Malaysians, regardless of your background.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Bobby,

FANTASTIC PIECE!!! Well done!! I always knew one day you will be writing with dunamis power! Please continue to write more of such pieces.

I hope you do not mind - I have reposted this wonderful heartfelt piece in my blog.

Do let me know if you do not approve of it.

I am sure it will be alright with you.

Take care and have a great weekend.

Cheers

Tiger said...

Dear Paula,
Thank you.
I'd rather not write about politics as it's such a disgusting subject, but the recent Selangor debacle and TBH open verdict is a step too far.
I want our fellow countrymen to vote in the best leaders, and to do so, they have to think rationally about who they're voting for.
Go ahead and repost it, I hope to educate more of our fellow Malaysians.

Cruzeiro said...

Hi Tiger,
Hmmm- nice piece.

After all that you wrote in dissociating yourself from the different sections which you feel "herd" you, did you realize that you were just expressing a sense of frustration & "alienation"?

Having said that- how different is your stand from MCLM's?
The way I look at it- none whatsoever. Why then do you alienate yourself from MCLM?
Do you actually believe that you can work better alone and caring only for your vote?

Don't get me wrong- the sentiments you express are perfectly valid, and I share most of them. Nobody wields the magic bullet to solve all the ills. The damage inflicted upon the natinal psyche goes far too deep for it all to be cured in a generation.
However, to change that, it may help if you work along with those who think alike.

It is a matter of perception- Instead of viewing them as "cow herders", it would be better if we can all have more social consciousness & work together to bring changes we all desire in society. Otherwise, we will only end up being one of the many buffaloes that go out to till the soil for our "masters", and come home for our "justified" ration of slop as our reward.

The changes that we see now, are the result of the awareness generated by patriots over the past decade, and the people don't seem to like what they see. They are sick of it- but many don't realize that it is what they did to themselves. Many think the vote alone will do the job- I seriously doubt that, although it is a good & necessary first step. It takes greater commitment than that to really change things.

It takes greater participation in society, and greater activism on the part of civil society to defend the very rights/freedoms/justice which you crave for.
That is what MCLM stands for & is for.

A docile public, would be a dream come true for politicians bent on power. Come to think of it- after 50yrs of Umno, it is the "docile individual buffalo worried about its own slop" in us that they want ... make no mistake about it.

The choice is ours, Tiger.

Cheers.

Tiger said...

hi Cruzeiro,
I read your Thots too.
Thanks for the compliment, you're no slouch in the writing department yourself.

Look, I'm a big supporter of Haris and MCLM.
I've offered myself, and even my father (whom to me has an impeccable character and
social service record) as candidates for Taiping and Puchong.
I've offered my network of contacts and footsoldiers for MCLM's use.
But MCLM is moving too slowly, and not as fast as BN.
And we can forget discussing what PR is doing.
I've asked Haris/MCLM, WHAT DO YOU GUYS NEED?
No answer.

As I said, don't take my writing on a piecemeal basis.
I said NO ONE has all the RIGHT answers.
I'd like to think I do, but then again so does Anwar Ibrahim and Ibrahim Ali.

The one way we can improve our country is getting good characters into Parliament.
No more Bung Mokhtars, no more idiots like Wee or Loh.

With that, we need our voters to be educated and informed about who's standing in
their constituency.

You've made your point.
The docility in all of us, the rakyat, has been the main factor in our country's decline.

I'm in the midst of making my path towards a better Malaysia.
I believe if enough people believe what you and I believe in, we'll get there soon enough.

Cheers to you too and have a good wekend.

fairplay said...

Looks interesting your "poem" so investigate more but seems you are more a "dreamer" and probably will crack even under moderate pressure if stand as Parliment's candidate.

That's the trouble with you probable MCLM's candidate ... want to go for the "safe & easy" seats...in your case Taiping & Puchong (presently DAP seats)...get real and please think practically how MCLM can contribute...because there's a role for MCLM...no need only as candidates!

Hidup Malaysia !!!

Anonymous said...

Dear all,
Very valid observations which should be disseminated to every Malaysian especially those who do not have access to the Internet.
Hoping for more caring Malaysians to come forward and offer themselves as candidates in the next elections.

Tiger said...

Thanks for your feedback, Fairplay, constructive as it may be.

"Dreamer"? Is it so bad to want for a better country for us to live in?
Pressure is nothing for my father and I.
He's led countless organisations, and has done more for the Orang Asli's health
in Perak than our Jabatan Orang Asli in the past 50 years.
And I rather not talk about my achievements until I'm as old as my father.

There's no such thing as a "safe and easy" seat, not since GE12.
Nga Kor Ming is not a bad MP, and I told Haris that since the incumbent is DAP,
let's not waste resources unnecessarily.

Puchong, I have Gobind as my MP, and I feel he's done a tremendous job.
So, I don't really need to put myself up. It was just an offer to MCLM, or rather,
an invitation to treat.

Since you're so sure about MCLM's role, pray tell, what EXACTLY is it?

But I do like your tagline, yes, Hidup Malaysia!
(since most of our citizens have been considered "brain-dead" for the past 30 years)

Anon@0752,
my views exactly. RPK was very pissed off with the PR states for not doing enough of
information dissemination.
We need to do more for awareness in the rural areas.
An educated citizen makes a cultured country.
Right now, we have uneducated and uncultured idiots in Parliament.

Unknown said...

Great piece from the silent majority !