Saturday, September 19, 2009

Portrait of a Friend

I can't give solutions to all of life's problems, doubts, or fears. But I can listen to you, and together we will search for answers.

I can't change your past with all it's heartache and pain, nor the future with its untold stories. But I can be there now when you need me to care.

I can't keep your feet from stumbling. I can only offer my hand that you may grasp it and not fall.

Your joys, triumphs, successes, and happiness are not mine; Yet I can share in your laughter.

Your decisions in life are not mine to make, nor to judge; I can only support you, encourage you, and help you when you ask.

I can't prevent you from falling away from friendship, from your values, from me. I can only pray for you, talk to you and wait for you.

I can't give you boundaries which I might want to determine for you, But I can give you the room to change, room to grow, room to be yourself.

I can't keep your heart from breaking and hurting, But I can cry with you and help you pick up the pieces and put them back in place.

I can't tell you who you are. I can only love you as your friend.

4 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Well said, how true!

Tiger said...

Yes, hopefully more people will learn to be friends to others instead of just hoping for others to do the same.

Unknown said...

Great one here...I also posted this last month in writers...Always lovely to know that we share the same taste in poems, articles etc.

Hope you had a great time with your loved ones.

Junior must be growing very well...Do share some of the joyful moments with her in your blog...Any pics??? I am always goo-goo gaga over babies...except when it comes to changing soiled diapers. :-)

Take care and have a great week.

Tiger said...

Yes, MWS.
I think we're also subscribed to the same feeds!
;)
Will post photos of baby asap!