Saturday, October 18, 2008

Is our country matured enough?

Had a discussion during dinner last night. On my right, was a group of businessmen aligned to Pakatan Rakyat. To my left, was another group who believes there is no need to change the government.
I asked everyone at the table, why did you vote? Was it a protest vote? Or because you BELIEVED that you could make a change.
How did you feel the night of March 08, 2008, as the TV news ticker relayed the results out?
Did you feel, "Hey, I only wanted to reduce the majority, what happened?" or "Yes, we have given PR a chance to show us what they can do!" ?
Did you feel, "I think I went a step too far" or "Now, we have a few states to gauge the difference in governments" ?
I had a Hongky friend visit me the week before the elections. He asked how's the situation. I said, it's time for change. So he asked, will PR take 1 or 2 states? I said they'll take FIVE. This was on March 02.
Why I said that is because everyone I asked, they said I'll vote for PR. This happened in the 3 months preceding March 08. So, the winds of change was obviously blowing in already.
So, what the BN has to learn to do is to serve properly if they want to stay in power. No more nonsense of buying Benzes instead of the local car. You take 25% of my income as tax and you blow RM2.3 billion on helicopters? Why?
Without helicopters, the government cannot run, issit? There are homeless and starving people on the streets and somehow, I see that the government is unable to differentiate what is important and what should be prioritised.
If this continues, PR doesn't really have to do anything other than serve the people properly in the states they were given. BN is already committing political suicide. You can get ready to say bye bye to them in 2012.
Remember, Mr. V said, "The government should be afraid of the people, and the people should not be afraid of the government".
It is us, the people of Malaysia, who put you there in the first place.

No comments: