Monday, December 16, 2013

Bob Perks to his sons

Great message from a father.

 "I was wrong!" A father's confession.
by Bob Perks

Keith, Evan...
I'm on a different journey in my life. I'm getting old and I'm on my
own for the first time.  I always thought things would be different.
I may not have a chance to say these things to you.  So, permit me to
say them now.
Wait, don't say a word, sigh, moan or tune out as though you already
know what I'm going to say. You think perhaps I've said it all before
like some broken record and you don't want to hear it again.
What could I possibly say that I haven't said before?
"I was wrong."
I knew that would get your attention.
When I told you how much I loved you, I was wrong. It turns out I
loved you even more.
When I said, "You can become anything you want." I was wrong. You're
becoming even more than you thought you could.
When I said, "You didn't hear a word I said!" I was wrong. I've heard
you say "I love you!" a million times.
When I told you "Hold my hand when we cross the street. You'll be
safe."
I was wrong. I really wanted to hold onto you while I could. I knew
one day you'd let go of me.
When I said I'm very proud of both my sons, I was wrong. I never
imagined how incredibly proud I could be.
I've heard you say that you want things to be different when you
have children and you don't want an ordinary life.
I said the same thing. I was wrong.
I did indeed do things differently than my dad, you will, too. But
in the end I wanted the same results. I wanted the very best for my
children.  So did he.
In spite of all his imperfections, inability to communicate his
love properly, stubborn, sometimes arrogant ways, my father did okay.
My brother is an incredibly successful man and I'm still working on it.
So, as I venture into this new life let me leave you with one final thought.
Don't take anything for granted.  Work hard to make love the focus
of your life.  Don't assume that everything is okay with your
marriage. Ask, listen and change where you need to make changes.
You can say the words, "I love you!" but you must also show it.
You can show her that you love her, but she must also know you mean it.
You can sing to her, cling to her and think you are everything to her,
but don't assume you are, just because she's still there.
You may turn around one day and find yourself alone.
Oh, yes.  One really big thing...
Don't ever be too proud to say, "I was wrong."

I love you,
Dad

No comments: