Saturday, December 13, 2008

Did you ask to be born in Malaysia?

Having drinks with my buddies last night. One remark, "We are so blessed to be in this country"
Couldn't be better? Yes, it could be but
1. The average person has a proper roof over their head
2. The man in the street has enough to eat, or with some of the buffet lines I've seen, too much to eat.
3. One in 3 Malaysians have their own mode of transport so that they don't need to rely on the decrepit public transport system.
4. The country has an unique employment rate of 115%, thanks to the 15% of our population consisting of foreign workers, which means everyone can support themselves AND afford to hire foreign labor too.
5. We don't have problems like strikes (Europe) , riots (Greece) and natural disasters (ok, forget Bukit Antarabangsa, that's a man-made one despite whatever our idiot Ministers say).
So what's the problem, right?
Why is there any cause to complaint at all?
I have 2 houses, 2 cars, a wife who hasn't managed to bankrupt me with her shopping, 2 beautiful boys with a third child on the way (God, please, a girl), a good job with a great company and enough time to play golf and for occasional drinks too.
I should be rejoicing for all to see.
Our authorities tell us our crime rate is lower than most countries. Yes, thanks, the first month I moved to my house, our car CD player got stolen and the darn thiefs broke the car window to get to it. So I should be thankful I don't live in Zimbabwe?
They also tell us that foreigners flock to Malaysia as their choice of study. Ok, these people have 1. no schools in their war-torn country and 2. not enough money to get an actual quality education in a proper institution elsewhere, ok? There's no surprise that our country's ranking has slid in the International Science and Math.
My cousins used to tell me that they (both doctors) didn't want to come back to Malaysia, no thanks to zero meritocracy in our civil service. They would complaint about racism and UMNO's policies etc.
I stopped this argument with one question.
DID YOU ASK TO BE BORN IN MALAYSIA?
No? You didn't have any choice. Oh, some people I'm sure would love to be born in the US, UK or Australia. That's why they migrated there.
So, either you start fighting the slime of evil in this country or get the hell out of it.
Some people have no choice. They can't afford to migrate. But they love to complaint. My previous post refers to them as "The People".
You sure didn't ask to be born in Malaysia, but you sure as hell can do something about making this good country a great country.
You can start TODAY.

No comments: